Monday, June 12, 2017

Presenters Learn from Peloton Instructors: Pay Attention

Peloton instructorsIt’s no secret I am obsessed with my Peloton. If you don’t believe me, read this blog I wrote a little while ago.

 

This workout is beyond the stationary bike. It’s a community of people with 26K+ people in the Facebook group, and loyal fans that trek across the country to ride live with their fave Peloton instructors at the NY studio (affectionately called the mother ship) and people drive hours to meet their fave  instructors at Peloton stores in malls around the USA.

 

As a keynote speaker, focused on the topic of attention, I am constantly looking for examples of how people bring their messages to life. It might be watching a comedian on Netflix, attending a show on Broadway or watching a musician perform their latest hits. We can learn so much about the art of presenting from people around us.

 

A brilliant example of presentation skills comes from the variety of personalities and Peloton instructors . John Foley, the CEO has clearly hand picked his crew and created celebrity profiles for each of them. Some have cult-like followings and I admit to being part of those tribes.

 

Each Peloton instructor has their unique approach to their classes and listed below are some of my major learnings we can all apply to our presentations at work, at home and in our community.

 

Be real – all instructors are authentic. Not all instructors will appeal to all audiences. They don’t apologize for how they show up. They are authentically themselves. Some swear. Others don’t. Some focus on heart rate, others on fun. Some sing out loud on their bike, and others share mantras. I love how they show up confidently as themselves.

 

How can you show the audience more of who you are so they instantly want to listen to you?

 

Create memorable phrases – as a keynote speaker one of our secret weapons are memorable phrases we create that are memorable, repeatable and re-tweetable. We craft words our audience can share with others to help land key messages.

The instructors do the same:

Christine D’Ercole says ‘I am. I can. I will. I do’

The post Presenters Learn from Peloton Instructors: Pay Attention appeared first on Neen James.

No comments: